Let's explore the best things to do with kids in Waterford city and county in 2021. Experience the special things that happen on a family break in Waterford – Your Adventure Starts Here!
1. NIRE VALLEY GLAMPING… Offers cosy comfort staying in a vintage horsebox in the heart of the Comeragh mountains with stunning scenery in a peaceful location. The Nire Valley is a hidden gem, a picturesque green valley surrounded by mountain scenery. The lorry is ideal for couples looking for a romantic retreat, or for families looking to escape and there is superb walking directly into the mountains to the Nire Lakes with waymarked trails. The lorry is cosy and warm, with a comfortable king size bed, refrigerator, cooker, wood burning stove and deck. There is also a large glamping bell tent, which can be used with the lorry that sleeps up to four people.
2. WATERFORD GREENWAY… Taking your time, soaking up the landscape by a gentle process of osmosis, is among the great joys of exploring Ireland’s Ancient East - and the Waterford Greenway, a 45km off-road greenway, threads through a particularly scenic area following the former Waterford to Dungarvan Railway line. Absorb tales en route that sweep from ancient Christian worship to a river that held up Cromwell’s forces, and rebels’ use of the old railway line. The Waterford & Suir Valley Railway has track on a 10km section of the route from Kilmeadan to Bilberry allowing you to sit back and experience the views from a period carriage.
3. COPPER COAST MINI FARM… A warm, friendly welcome awaits you and your family at the family run Copper Coast Mini Farm, Waterford. Come and interact with the animals – some native to Ireland, others more exotic – in a fun, educational, safe environment. The Mini Farm is completely buggy and wheelchair accessible, with changing facilities, first aid station, competent and experienced staff, guided tours, clean, dry paths, friendly animals, plenty of hand washing facilities, and picnic tables both indoors and out.
4. SPLASHWORLD… Enjoy the exhilaration of the wild and wonderful wave machine, whirlpool, bubble pool, state of the art slides, baby pool and much more. The South East's biggest, brightest and best indoor waterpark is the ideal place to come for a soaking!
5. DUNMORE EAST ADVENTURE CENTRE… Challenge your sense of adventure with all sorts of activities – kayaking, rock climbing, windsurfing, archery, open canoeing,, to name a few. Even have a blast tackling the Wibit Wipeout obstacle course on water. Situated in a sheltered cove in the idyllic village of Dunmore East, in Co. Waterford, the Adventure Centre provides exciting water and land based outdoor activities to adults, kids and families.
6. WATERFORD SUIR VALLEY RAILWAY… All aboard to experience the magic of rail’s golden age, brought to life in Kilmeadan, Co. Waterford. This heritage narrow gauge railway follows 8.5km of the abandoned Waterford – Dungarvan route from the station at Kilmeadan into Gracedieu Junction. Take in panoramic views of the Suir Valley from a period carriage as you journey through a landscape of river, rolling farmland and mountains.
7. LAKE TOUR STABLES… Family-run Lake Tour Stables is in a wonderfully scenic location for trekking, just a mile from Ballyscanlon and Carrigavantry lakes, and a mile from Tramore Beach. Facilities include an indoor arena, cross country course, sand gallops and track to lake for trekking. Your lessons and treks are overseen by highly experienced staff, and horses and ponies are handpicked for temperament and suitability to make riding a pleasurable experience for all levels of riders.
8. SURFING IN TRAMORE… Catch a wave, wipeout in style, grin from ear to ear: whether you want to learn to surf or improve your techniques, Tramore, Co. Waterford, is the perfect place to surf! With a glorious 3 mile, south facing stretch of beach and plenty of surf schools to choose from - Oceanics Surf School, Freedom Surf School and Tramore Surf School, you'll be prepared to take on the challenge of an ever-changing beach break wave.